Welcome to HJ’s!
Long-time Brookside and Waldo residents remember the Southtown YMCA on the lot across from St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church. For decades, the Y was a community gathering spot, hosting Southwest High School parties, dance lessons, and summer afternoons at the pool. In 1990, Kansas City business leader and philanthropist John Latshaw donated the property to St. Andrew’s, and the old Y became HJ’s Youth and Community Center, named for Latshaw’s son. The facility served St. Andrew’s and the neighborhood for years, hosting Boy Scout Troop 16, the church’s youth ministry, and community events.
Now, our new HJ’s Youth and Community Center stands as a hub of blessing for St. Andrew’s and our Southtown neighborhoods – a gathering spot off the Trolley Track Trail for coffee and conversation, an event venue, the home of Troop 16 and other youth ministries, and a connecting point to build relationships between people and with God.
Jesus said, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”
— Matthew 18:20
What’s HJ’s For?
With a variety of spaces and a mission to connect with our neighborhoods in spiritual and secular ways, HJ’s is your gathering spot for:
- Private parties and events
- Meetings of community groups and organizations
- Intimate concerts, pub nights, and local artists’ exhibitions
- Community discussion series
- Classes to build parenting and relationship skills and explore your spirituality
- Opportunities to deepen your spiritual practice
- Coffee and conversation with your friends and neighbors (featuring St. Andrew’s Blend from the Roasterie)